Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Storm damage

I got this e-mail from my mom today.
Just thought I'd let you both know that we survived the big storm yesterday. There was a tornado that touched down west of M, and also hit west of S. The radio also said one 8 miles East of G heading to A. We had to use the disaster plan here at work and spent about half an hour in the basement (from 3:45 to 4:15). I had been outside looking earlier - was calm here at the bank, but I heard a "roaring" noise west of town - sounded like the rumbling kind of thunder, but never quit - shortly thereafter it started to hail and the whistle blew, so we secured the premises before heading to the basement. Most of the hail was large marble size here, L had golf ball size in her yard. Dad said it also hailed at home, but probably not enough to hurt the crops.

Then last night another "wave" came through, dumping about 2 1/2 inches in a short amount of time, but luckily it didn't last too long. The creek ended up about 1/2 full, was down this morning. The new terraces on the north farm did their job - they were also down this morning, Q said they were full last night. A tornado touched down in A2 destroying the Hy-Vee and another couple of businesses on the highway. StJ paper has some pictures this morning.

No comments: