Saturday - I went to a wedding for a co-worker. I was raised Methodist (actually, I was raised as a protestant of an unknown denomination but became a Methodist on my own while in high school) and it always amazes me how long those Catholic weddings with Masses can go. I had only been to one Catholic wedding in my life before I moved to St. Louis, and all but one of the weddings I've been to in this town have been Catholic (the one was P and C's wedding, which was my first Jewish wedding).
After the wedding I stopped by my office to change clothes in the restroom there, since it was on the way to the wineries in Augusta. We were celebrating Vanessa's birthday, which is actually on the 28th, and she wanted to go to the wineries. It was a beautiful day and the views were gorgeous. When I got there the gang was all at Montelle, which was nice with levels of wooden decks overlooking the fields. From there we decided to go to Mount Pleasant. I was looking forward to going there because it was, in my mind, the best known of the Augusta wineries. Unfortunately I was not at all impressed and found the people there to be pretentious pricks. We quickly moved on to Balducci's, which was nice as well. I had to leave just as the band was getting going and I know I would have had so much fun if I had stayed. However, I had important things to do before the wedding reception.
I drove the hour back to home, stopped to feed the cats and change clothes, picked up M.B., drove to Schnucks' to get a birthday cake for Vanessa, and went to Vanessa's. Angela and Dave had gotten there earlier (with a key they secretly had made) to decorate Vanessa's apartment for a surprise party. I had received word that the gang was arriving back from the wineries around 7pm, so I decided to stay until then and be a bit late for the reception. I was so glad I did because Vanessa's reaction when we yelled "Surprise!" was priceless.
I went to the reception for my co-worker which was luckily only about five minutes from Vanessa's place. I ate some good Italian food, drank some okay wine, talked with my other co-workers, former co-workers and all of their significant others seated at my table. I even got up and danced to a few songs before I left. I was afraid that I had stayed too long at the reception (even though I'd left at 9:45) and everyone back at Vanessa's would be passed out from their full day of drinking. I was pleased to find everyone was still partying but they were fading quickly. One by one people started leaving and I was the last to leave around midnight.
It's amazing to me the separate lives I lead when it comes to hanging out with my co-workers and hanging out with my friends. I get along fine with most of my co-workers and like to do things outside of work with them, like happy hour or stamping. But I know that most of them have very different views on life than I do. Even though I have fun with them I always have this guard up and can never truly be myself around them. However with my friends I can truly be myself, and that is so liberating to me. I am so very lucky to have such amazing friends who accept me and love me for who I am.
Sunday - This morning I blogged (see earlier post) and quickly got ready to go to the Pride Fest Parade. I had never been before and was excited to be going as I knew it would be a good time. I was right - it was so much fun, but it was actually a lot tamer than I thought it would be. After the parade we made our way through the festival booths and found one serving margaritas. Across from the margarita booth was a tent where a person could have his/her tarot cards read. I had always wanted to have a "real" tarot reading and happily paid the $10 for 10 minutes of tarot fun. My reading was VERY interesting to say the least, and if you want to know what it said you'll have to ask me, as I will not post it here but gladly tell my friends via e-mail, cell phone or face to face.
After the festival we went to see Michael Moore's new documentary, Fahrenheit 9/11. I was really looking forward to seeing it, but to be honest I was a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it was a really good movie, but I guess I was just expecting something absolutely knock-me-off-my-feet amazing. The information given, while important and damning, was not as in depth as I would have liked. I guess I just wanted more - more details, more findings, more movie period. I'd give it 3-1/2 stars (my movie ratings are based on four total stars, btw).
That's pretty much it (finally, right?) - we watched Six Feet Under and Queer as Folk this evening. Talked with my parents and I have a new baby cousin, W - parents are oldest cousin M and wife H, who were best man and matron of honor at my other cousin H's wedding. On a personal note, I'm so mad at myself that I completely forgot my camera to every event I attended this weekend. I guess I should just start carrying that thing with me all of the time. Until next time dear readers!
No comments:
Post a Comment