Well, a few things.
1) My grandma had shoulder surgery a couple of weeks ago before I went home for the girl-I-used-to-babysit-for's wedding. The surgery went fine, however she was having some problems with her potassium and her blood sugar levels. Now she's having troubles with her legs and feet and she can't stand on her legs for more than a couple of minutes at a time. They were going to let her go home Tuesday but she fell as she was heading to the bathroom (for the second time), so they decided to put her in a rehab facility across the street from the hospital for about a week because they couldn't let her go home by herself right now.
I've been unusually affected by my grandma's ailing health as I truly feel that everything that is happening to her health-wise is going to happen to me someday. When we were going through old photos when my grandpa died I found a picture of her as a young woman wading in a river with her skirt hiked up and I realized that I have her legs - they were exactly the same shape as mine. I also look more like her than any other of my cousins and have already inherited her arthritis and prematurely graying hair. Now at 74 her body seems to be rolling itself into a ball, and it just makes me dread my old age.
2) I went to the dentist on Thursday and had to have a wisdom tooth pulled. I ran to an old college coworker, L, at Fahrenheit 9/11. She had recently finished dental school and was now living in St. Louis. She gave me her card and I told her I'd give her a call. A few months later, when I found out that I was going to lose $240 from my medical flex spending plan at work if I didn't use it before the end of the year, I called. As soon as L saw the tooth, which had partially broken a couple of months ago, she said we should pull it. "It's a wisdom tooth that you aren't using anyway, and we should get it out now before it gets worse," she said. Well if that was the worst thing that was going to happen to me after not being to a dentist in X years I was ready. I was not ready, however, for the effects of the Vicodin she prescribed me. I did not feel well at all yesterday which forced me to miss Erica's birthday/Halloween party that I had really been looking forward to. Today I'm going to try Ibuprofen and see how that works.
It was good to see L again. I've always gotten along well with her and we had some good times partying together in K-ville. She's married now and I kind of got the impression that she didn't have a lot of friends here in town. She gave me her number to give her a call if we wanted to go out and I thought if Karl had a party at his place in the near future I'd call her. I figured that would be fairly low key and she wouldn't feel overwhelmed at a party at the Circle K (hint hint, nudge nudge).
3) I think we may finally be done with field work at my summer client - the same client I've been working on since May. We still have work to do on them at the office, but the fact that we've brought the two huge trunks full of workpapers back to the office is a big step forward.
4) Well, as we all know by now, the Cards lost the World Series to the Red Sox. Why did we have to play the Sox in the Series? I really wanted the Sox to win a Series, but not against my Cards. If it had been any team but mine playing them I would have been thrilled. But now the Cardinals will forever be known as the team against which the Sox broke the Curse. Just hoping the Curse didn't transfer to us in the mean time.
____________________
That's what's been going on in my life for the past week or so. I've also been busy with friends' goings-on too, but those are stories for them to tell. If I don't blog before then, be sure to vote on Tuesday!
No comments:
Post a Comment