Monday, November 22, 2004

Ugh, where did the year go?

OK, so I've been bad about blogging lately. There's just not much going on with me. I would write, but there just doesn't seem to be anything to write about. I've been bumming around the house and I'm sure driving Brad nuts. It's basically just work and that's it.

I'm dreading the holidays. It's not because I don't like the holidays - I love spending all of the extra time with my family and the good food and presents and the good food (oh wait, I already said that). But what I'm really dreading is what comes after the holidays. That's right folks, three straight months of working 60 hours or more a week and having absolutely no time to breathe. Don't get me wrong, I knew what I was getting into when I got into this profession. I like my job enough. And I really like the overtime check I get in May.

The real problem I have is my senior in-charge and the kid that idolizes him that I work with during February, March and April. I like my co-workers on my January job - my office mate and a couple of other women from the office. But the guys on my big tax season job are chauvinistic jerks.

Example: I had to do some prelim work at this client last week with these guys. I don't know how the conversation got started, but we were talking about marriage. I mentioned that the next time I get married I didn't think I'd take my husband's last name. The guys started questioning me about it, and I wondered aloud if it was about the husband and wife having the same last name then why didn't the guy take the lady's last name. The junior blurted out, "Because you're the---," and he stopped. He knew that if he said what he wanted to say, "Because you're the WOMAN," that I'd have him. But I knew. The junior then said, "Don't you think your husband would have a problem with you not taking his name?" My response was, "My future husband will respect the fact that I want to keep my own name."

The senior is very Religious Right and he and his high school sweetheart got married when she was 19. They now have four kids aged six and under and seem to be breeding the newest generation of evangelistic Republicans. We have absolutely nothing in common and while I can force myself to get along with him I really don't like him (I'm not alone - a lot of the women in my office agree with me and think I am a saint because I can put up with him during tax season). The junior just thinks the senior is the coolest and they like to trade childish barbs back and forth. My only relief comes when our manager is out on the job - they tend to behave themselves when he's around.

I have to get through at least one more tax season before I can start looking for another job. But I really don't think I can handle another one after this, as much as I'd like to have five years of experience under my belt before moving on. It's going to be rough, and I'll apologize to my friends now for the mood in which I'm going to be in a couple of months.

No comments: