Saturday, March 12, 2005

Exhaustion

I think I've finally hit it. That point when the mental and physical exhaustion of tax season takes over and you're just praying that you can make it through to the end.

This week has been from hell. Issues from the client have risen that will set us back at least a week, and unfortunately the financial statements are still due when they are due. The senior staff accountant above me on the job may or may not show up for work on any given day, and I have two other clients I am the senior on that I must find time to work on in addition to the added responsibilities I have acquired on my current client due to the senior's absence. Tomorrow will probably be the last Sunday I have off until the financial statements go to the client (which probably will include working on Easter). I know that I will be paid for any overtime I work from here on out, but sometimes money isn't everything. Sanity, on the other hand...

In addition to all of my pressure from work I have to find some time to take my car into the shop. Two reasons: one is that my car was rear-ended on the way home from work last Friday (only cosmetic damage as far as I can tell and no harm done to my self), two is that my brakes are going out. I probably should take my black cat to the vet because she insists on licking all the fur off her body. It's times like these that I sometimes wish I had a partner in my life to relieve me of some of my burdens. But as a single woman working the hours I am, who has the time or money to take care of such things?

It is now 8:30 on a Saturday night and I will be heading to bed shortly. I haven't been sleeping very well in the limited hours I have to sleep. Work problems keep me thinking and wake me up at times during the night. I'm hoping to get some good rest tonight though as I know that I have no work tomorrow and that this may be the last chance I have to get some for a while. However, tomorrow there's the laundry, cleaning the litter boxes, maybe cleaning the house a bit, writing a letter to both my state senator and representative that I've been promising to deliver for well over a month, paying bills, etc.

Sorry to complain, I know everyone is busy. It's not like I didn't know what I was getting in to when I became a public accountant. I am just in desperate need a few days off that I know I can't have until April 15. And unfortunately I am too responsible a person to pull the shit that the senior accountant is pulling.

No comments: