I was told by a co-worker earlier that today was to be the last day of work for the senior staff member on my big audit. My reaction was that I was being April Fooled. But no, today really is the last day of work for him. He got a new job and informed the partners of it today with a two-week notice, but as is customary at the firm he was let go early to prevent client info from going with him.
How do I feel about this? For the most part I feel pretty good. I've been covering for him all tax season anyway and we've pretty much cut him out of the important work. He did tell me himself later on that he was leaving. He claims that he had been pulling back on his work load since October so others would have to step up and learn their clients - my ass, he was being lazy! However he did compliment me on my work and said that I was much more confident in my abilities this year than I was last year (he even said he hoped that during review time that I would be rewarded for that).
So I guess I did learn a bit about auditing from him, but I'd like to think that I've improved on it greatly. I have my own style now and I know what has to be done and do it. And I'm pretty sure that this client will run much smoother now that he's gone. He's someone that I've tolerated being around because I had to work with him, and I know that my work environment--and the work environment for other co-workers who can't stand him--will be much less stressful now that he's gone.
2 comments:
That's great that he's gone-- what are your annual reviews like?
I have one tomorrow...
The partners, managers, and senior staff members on our jobs fill out a questionnaire ranking (A, B, C, D or F) how well we handle situations, how good and neat our work is, etc. Now that I'm a senior I will be filling out evaluations on those with less experience, but I will still have my work reviewed by the managers and partners I work with. Mostly C's is where we try to be - it's not like grades (which is so hard to get used to).
Best of luck on your review tomorrow! You'll be fine I'm sure of it.
Post a Comment