Friday, April 28, 2006

Objectives

I took today and Monday off of work originally because a group of us had thrown around the idea of a taking a trip to Memphis. Unfortunately we didn't plan on how to pay for the trip so our plans fell through. But I thought that since I already had the two days off it would be silly of me to work them, so I told myself I would give myself a birthday present and take a mental vacation. I'm not planning on slacking this entire weekend, however, as these four days give me the perfect opportunity to work on my resume (how the hell do I make this type an accent - imagine there is an accent over the "e"s in the previous word).

I'm forced to start from scratch with my resume because I can't find the disk with my old resume, my old computer with the resume crashed a long time ago when a gin and tonic was spilled on it (and, mind you, I don't drink gin - tastes too much like pine trees to me), and I apparently don't have a hard copy anywhere. Well, it has been over five years since I last did a resume. Not to mention this resume has to be completely different than the old one to show my experience and the three letters after my name, so it's probably a good thing to start anew.

At the top of my resume I am supposed to list an objective that explains my overall goal I hope to achieve with the resume. I must admit that I'm a bit stuck. I probably should have a different objective with each resume I give out but what is my overall objective with the resume? I can't put, "To get the hell out of my current job that forces me to work insane hours for three and one-half months out of the year" now can I?

Another problem I'm having is putting down on paper all of the things that I do at my current job. I do a huge variety of things that all look really good to potential employers but I'm afraid I'm missing some major things. Not to mention it's kind of hard for me to talk myself up. My qualifications are supposed to be listed separately from my experience and it's hard to distinguish between the two considering this is pretty much all I have.

This may be more difficult than I originally thought. I just need to finish it, have it proofed and go with it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm having resume headaches too. Like, is it good to put "I'm not a fucking paralegal so don't expect me to do that shit" down near the bottom?