Friday, June 02, 2006

Freaking out a little

I was just about home after spending the evening having dinner with friends when I saw out of the corner of my eye a white blur. I slammed on the brakes as hard as I could and came to a complete stop, put the car in park and got out of my car to see if I could find the animal. I looked under the car but couldn't see anything when I remembered I had a flashlight in the glove box. I went around to the passenger side and that's when I saw it.

I got back in the driver's side and backed the car up but it was too late. The pretty white and black kitty had been smushed by my tire. I started freaking out thinking of my own kitties and how I wouldn't want to see them dead on the road like that. I didn't know what to do so I called Karl - no answer. So I tried Vanessa - again, no answer. I called Karl one more time and still nothing.

Karl called me back just as I got inside my door and asked what was up and I told him I killed a cat. I've hit animals with my car before (mainly squirrels but I did hit a fawn one time) but never someone's pet. I decided to call the non-emergency number of the local police and the nice lady on the phone said she would have someone from the street department come out in the morning to collect the dead animal.

This happened about 20 minutes ago and I'm still shaking. I hope that the street department gets to the cat before the owners do. I know there was nothing I could do but oh I feel absolutely sick.

Update: It's the next morning and on my way to work I noticed the kitty was still in the road. It sure was a pretty kitty. I hope the street department gets to it before the owners do.

2 comments:

Michelle de Seattle said...

Sad for you and for the kitty both...

Anita said...

Oh! I am sorry! I know I am late but damn that's awful. I can't let my pets outside because I am terrified of them getting hit by a car. Of ourse, they hate me for keeping htem trapped in the house, but... =( Poor kitty. It wasn't your fault.