Sunday, September 09, 2007

Busy

My delay in posting is not entirely my fault, I swear. I had no Internet service for over a week (stupid Charter) and finally got it back on Friday. I've been super busy though with work, social and networking functions, being out of town and planning a baby shower. I'm finally able to breathe a little today though and it's a good thing since NFL Football is starting this week (unfortunately, my Chiefs lost).

The new job is going very well and I'm really liking it so far. For the first time in a long time I feel like I'm using my abilities to their full potential, and that's a great feeling. I need to do a little work today to try and get caught up a bit from being sick for a day and a half at the end of August, but I really don't mind so much because I like the work. Am I losing my mind?

I went home a few weeks ago for an informal 15-year high school reunion at my town fair. It's always nice to go home and see some old friends, but it's always nice to remember why I left and realize how much happier I am in my life here in StL.

Over Labor Day weekend, a group of us had a girls' weekend in Memphis. Bethany drove over from K.C. Friday night and Saturday morning she, Vanessa, Melissa and I caravanned down I-55. We met Erica at the hotel since we were late picking her up at the airport where she flew in from Atlanta. We had such a great time catching up with one another that I think we would have had fun if we had just stayed at the hotel the entire weekend. But we did find time to visit Beale Street, the National Civil Rights museum, the Peabody Hotel to watch the ducks make their daily march back to their room, the Memphis Music and Heritage Festival, and of course Graceland. Pictures are here.

I was specifically told to blog about a couple of things that happened during the trip - the fabulous mullet sightings, Dr. Bob from the Ninth Ward in NOLA, the "weddings" and "annulments" that occurred on Sunday night with the hoosiers from the Bootheel, the amazingly kitschy memorial wreaths marking the 30th anniversary of Elvis' death - but my favorite story still has to be the one Melissa's "husband" told me about working for the DEA. Apparently as part of his job he has to work undercover and take meth in an effort to bust some labs, but it's okay because the DEA has a special solution that he drinks right after he takes the meth that allows him to remove the drug from his system with one visit to the restroom. Then he told me that they know of a similar solution that can cure AIDS, but it's only found in outer space (I can't make this stuff up!). For someone who's "undercover" job is driving a combine, he sure had some WILD stories! If I've forgotten some stories I'm sure someone (Vanessa) will remind me in the comments.

The rest of my free time the past month has been spent planning for a baby shower/BBQ for Jes and Karl. Jes' mom, Karl's sister, S, and I decided on a monkey theme for the shower, and S and I spent a good amount of time making 60 invitations. I think they were worth the effort and turned out really well though, and we received a lot of compliments on them.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I think the baby shower was a success - I know I had a good time. Jes and Karl got a lot of great presents, and they seemed very touched by the outpouring of support and love from friends and family. I took a few pictures, and they are here.

Next weekend is another busy one, and the two weekends after that have the potential to be as well. One of these days I might have time to clean my house. I'll blog again eventually, I promise!

4 comments:

Jon Scott said...

If you love Memphis, check out

www.AllMemphisMusic.com

Anonymous said...

dude, I'm still waiting for the photos of when you were gonna paint your apartment...

Chris Cactus said...

Love the invitations! :-)

Anonymous said...

Great pictures, Beth. Thanks for putting them up... I'll get around to it too, someday.

Melissa