I woke up feeling much better on Saturday (and I must admit, the drugs did help) so I decided to go shopping. I went to Target to get some essentials and bought a few fun things as well. Then I treated myself and went to Best Buy to buy a digital camera. I had decided to get one after our DC trip when several of my pictures didn't turn out. So, I splurged. I tested out the camera on the cats - Fat Cat seemed to be posing. I took other pictures of this weekend as well. As soon as I sit down and figure out how to put them on the computer I'll link to them.
The boys went to the lake this weekend, so Angela thought it would be fun for the girls to have a slumber party at her place. It didn't really end up being a slumber party as I was the only one who stayed over, but it was fun none the less. Vanessa and Hannah arrived just as I did around 6:30. A couple more of Angela's friends were supposed to come too but didn't end up coming for one reason or another. Between the four of us we brought enough food to feed about 20 people and didn't even get to the pizza or the cheese and crackers or the ice cream. We also had movies to watch and music to listen to, but neither was accomplished. Instead we just sat around, ate, drank, smoked and talked a lot. I've never been really good about remembering the details of an evening in which I've been drinking (especially one that involves Strawberry Hill - was that Vanessa's idea?), but I know that it meant a lot to me to just converse and bond with these amazing women. Most of my friends in college were men, and while I love my male friends dearly it's really nice to have a group of women around who I can talk to and who share a lot of the same thoughts and ideals as me.
V and H left about midnight (V had to take care of her dog and H had to work early on Sunday) and since A and I were about ready to pass out we went to sleep. I woke up about 7:30 this morning and started watching V's video of C-SPAN's coverage of the March for Women's Lives that A, V and I participated in on April 25. The footage was of the rally that took place during and after the march - nothing really of the march itself. There were some absolutely amazing speakers that we didn't get a chance to hear while we were there, and it was great to get to hear them on the video. Angela woke up later, so we started making brunch while watching the video. We both started getting very emotional watching speaker after speaker share their personal stories. We also started getting pissed off that in this day and age women are still treated as second-class citizens. V showed up at about 10:00 to A and I crying and mad about the state of women's rights in this country and around the world. I think reliving the march (and for me, I think it sunk in more watching the video this morning) made us all realize that there is so much work that still needs to be done, but we're frustrated that we can only do so much. And unfortunately, I think we all agreed that it's probably going to get worse before it gets better.
So, what can I say to you, the reader of this blog, that will hopefully make a difference? Vote and vote often - the local, smaller races are just as important if not more important than the big elections. If you are a resident of Missouri and are not registered to vote, here's the info you need to know on how to register. If you are wondering why we marched on Washington, here's a good place to start. Here's some info on the Global Gag Rule put into effect by the current Bush administration. For more information you can check out the websites for NOW, Planned Parenthood, the Feminist Majority Foundation, or NARAL Pro-Choice America.
We are only one Supreme Court vote away from having Roe v. Wade overturned. Let's hope we don't ever have to march to have it reinstated.
2 comments:
It's about 3:30 and we'll be heading back soon. I have a meat hangover - very testosterone filled weekend (and whatever else they inject cattle with) it would have been nice to have you girls here, we should shoot for a July trip. C U soon -k-
Your slumber party sounds fun! I could use a good girly slumber party right now.
I was telling Liza that we need to get away with a bottle of wine soon.
Thanks for your comments on my blog today, Beth!
Post a Comment