What can I say? It's a sad, sad day indeed. I started drinking about 7:15 last night while I was watching the election returns knowing what the outcome would be. I at least thought there would be a higher percent of "NO" votes, but only 29%? Come on!
I had a happy hour after work tonight for our intern's last day and discovered only two of us at a table of 8 voted yesterday. Now unfortunately most of my co-workers probably would have voted "Yes" on the amendment, but what really irked me was when one of them said, "Oh I didn't really think there was an issue that I really cared about, so I just decided not to vote."
What? Excuse me? How can you not care that 71% of the people voting in the election yesterday felt homosexuals did not deserve the same rights granted heterosexuals? That 71% of the voters willfully discriminated against another human being? How is it not important that we are going through this generation's Civil Rights Movement? How can you not care about the rights of a fellow citizen?
All I can think right now is that I hope it doesn't take as long for Americans to get their heads out of their asses as it did for the Civil Rights movement to occur - which was, what, about 190 years? It just makes me sick.
No comments:
Post a Comment