Conservatives and the Religious Right are attempting to sanction the discrimination of gays and lesbians by creating a constitutional amendment to the Missouri State Constitution that says "marriage shall exist only between a man and a woman."
I don't understand how it is that others can blindly hate someone purely because of something that is beyond that person's control. Whether it be sexual orientation, the color of one's skin, a person's birthplace, the religion a person was born into or some sort of physical handicap, why can't we all just let each other live our lives without judgment or fear? I can't bring myself to believe that it is "human nature" for humans to constantly live in conflict with one another. Maybe I have this unrealistic utopian view on the world, but I just want all of the hatred, violence, ignorance and threats to stop.
I also can't understand how I was raised by two people who have such different views and beliefs than mine. I stupidly tried to plead to my parents this evening to vote NO on Amendment 2. While I respect their opinion I wish it was different. I ended up bursting into tears and hanging up on my mom. I don't know what I expected in calling them, but there's still a part of me that thinks my own opinions are formed from theirs in some way. I guess I was attempting to appeal to that part of them that I believe is still there somewhere buried deep within. It's so fucking FRUSTRATING!!!
2 comments:
Amen.
Here I sit on Wednesday morning... Unfortunately, the amendment has passed. The last shred of my youthful optimism just died. Hate will now be etched into Missouri's Constitution. Oh, this is an awful day!
I understand your frustration, Beth... My family is so far to the right I can't even see them from where I sit on the political spectrum. Short of beating them with a stick I can't convince them to even consider issues that may be new to them. Frustrating indeed.
Chris & I plan on winning the lottery tonight and buying our own island... leave this right-wing country to implode. http://www.privateislandsonline.com/
-Vanessa
Post a Comment