Thursday, December 30, 2004

Christmas at home

So, despite everything that was happening in the news while I was home, I had a wonderful holiday. The trip was entirely too short as is usually the case.

My brother, "Bro" and his fiancee, "FSIL", were home from the 18th - 22nd. We had Christmas for my mom's side of the family on that Sunday at our house, and we had our Christmas on Monday. So, because I am not going home this weekend for my dad's side of the family's Christmas this Saturday, I was done with Christmas before most people even began theirs. Since we didn't have anything special planned on Christmas day, we had my grandma over for dinner so she wouldn't have to spend it alone. My mom was thrilled when her mother-in-law complimented her cooking! We all went a bit overboard on gifts this year but we tend to go a bit crazy at Christmas since we don't give each other gifts for birthdays or anything else.

It was great to see my family and meet some new additions to it. I also had the chance to see my best friend from high school and my old college roommate, N, and spend time with their families. Bro and I made sure we ate at our favorite fast food restaurant from our youth, Taco John's, at least once since we can only get it at home anymore (though FSIL wasn't that impressed with it - I equated it to the Lion's Choice phenomenon in St. Louis that I don't understand). I even had time to knit a scarf for myself. I ate a LOT of good food and spent a LOT of time visiting and relaxing.

This was the last time I will see my family until after tax season unless Mom decides to come to St. Louis to shop for wedding items with FSIL's mom. I tend to get a bit homesick after visiting home because I really miss my family. But I know that I can't move back because my life at home can't be what I want it to be. I'm so grateful that I have friends here in St. Louis that are like family to me - they make my life so much happier than it would be otherwise.

No comments: