Thursday, December 09, 2004

Identity crisis

After 30 years of life you'd think that she could get it right. I mean really, I've sent her graduation announcements and even a wedding invitation with it. My grandma had to correct it on my stocking as a kid. And yet you'd think she would have picked up on it somewhere. But alas, my aunt cannot spell my middle name correctly, though she insists on putting it on all envelopes I receive from her.

My aunts, uncles and grandparents all call me by my first and middle names together, though to my mom, dad and brother I've always just been Beth. Whenever I call my grandparents and say, "Hi, it's Beth," I truly think they have to think about who it is for a second. And even then when my grandma will yell to my grandpa in the other room, she'll yell my first and middle names. It's not that I'm opposed to being called by my first and middle names together, it's just not who I am any more. It's endearing coming from them but it would almost be an insult coming from anyone else. I think of that person as the sweet little sensitive country girl who had big dreams in life. I guess to my family I'll always be that girl, which in a way is nice.

2 comments:

Karl said...

You should talk to Vick about this. She has some interesting theories on names. In context I am Karl, KJ, Carlos, Carlito Bandito, Monkey, Fuzzy, etc. We all answer to many things, it might be nice if we could officially change our names to reflect our current phases.

Beth said...

We had a conversation about that now that you mention it. I'll try and get Vick's thoughts on the subject sometime.