I don’t feel like doing any work right now, and nothing absolutely needs to be done at the moment, so I thought I’d blog some of my random thoughts for a bit.
I went to Target at Hampton and Chippewa yesterday to do a bit of shopping and discovered that they are closing it on January 7. They are tearing it down and building a new Target on the same spot that is supposed to be 30,000 square feet bigger than the current one and will have a parking garage attached. They are planning on having it open in early October – just in time to catch next year’s holiday shopping season. Needless to say I was very excited about the new Target, but I was concerned how I was going to get through next spring and summer without a Target so close to home.
After shopping I came home and did a couple loads of laundry and baked over 8 dozen cookies for my office’s annual cookie exchange. I used Hannah’s Gooey Butter Cookie recipe which I was pleased to find is relatively easy (for those of you who have not experienced St. Louis’s Gooey Butter Cake, it is a rich, buttery, gooey goodness that you really need to try when you are in town). I didn’t realize how thick and hard to handle the cookie dough was, but I managed to get through the four batches needed to make the required number. They turned out well once I realized how long I needed to cook them in my oven. I’ll make them again sometime but I think one batch at a time is plenty to deal with.
After watching Sideways on Saturday I realize that I know absolutely nothing about wine and I should learn more. I know that the community college offers wine tasting classes because I’ve looked into taking them before but always found an excuse not to. I think I’ll check their schedule and try to do it after tax season. Hopefully I can convince some friends to join me as I think it would be very entertaining.
I’m also thinking about taking guitar lessons but I need to buy a guitar first. I had a crappy guitar at one point but I have no idea what happened to it. I tried to teach myself how to play but at the time I didn’t want to be forced to cut my fingernails (I know, I know). This is something I think I’d really enjoy and it would give a reason to get back into music, which I miss deeply.
I still need to buy Christmas gifts for my brother, his fiancée, my grandparents on both sides, my aunt and uncle, a female gift, and small, less than $1 gifts for my little cousins on my mom’s side. I’m pretty much done shopping for Mom, Dad may need one more thing like a book, and I pretty much know what I’m getting everyone else. So considering I’m usually still buying Christmas presents on Christmas Eve, I think I’m doing pretty well this year. We’ll see if I can get it all done before I leave on the 18th.
Oh I suppose I should get some work done today (dammit). I’m really content being lazy and doing nothing though. Alright, back to the grind.
2 comments:
Oh, gooey butter cake is Nirvana personified.
Ahhh, the memories. Do you have that recipe? Will you share the cookie recipe?
At 350 degrees they took about 18 minutes in my oven. And I couldn't get the stupid scoop to work on the dough, so I rolled them into 1 - 1 1/2 inch balls with my hands.
Post a Comment