So we finally got the wireless Internet to work on Brad's computer, but the upgrade to the router was not compatible with my ancient laptop. And since I didn't want to monopolize Brad's computer (which he was kind enough to share with me) and since I've been at a client for the past month or so, I haven't been blogging as much as I should. Now, however, I am typing on my brand spanking new laptop which I bought last Monday - check it out here.
After shelling out the dough for the new computer on Monday, on Tuesday we were shocked to find out that we're being kicked out of our house at the end of August when our lease is up. We had been planning on staying here for at least another year, but the owners of the house (who live in New Jersey) decided it was time after 20 years of renting the place that they were ready to sell. Needless to say we were not ready for this news and have been scrambling ever since to find a new place to live. Brad and I mutually decided once the shock wore off that we were both ready to live on our own again which left me with the burning question, "Should I rent or should I buy?"
As of today buying is winning (I'm leaning towards a condo - less yard work but condo fees), but I'm not sure that I can afford it. I've talked to a couple of bankers who are willing to work with me and I think I can manage to live with the monthly payments. What's going to be difficult for me are the closing costs associated with purchase of a new domicile. At the same time I'm so sick of moving every year I can barely stand it. I've now kind of got my heart set on buying that I'm going to have a hard time if I have to rent again, but I'm going to make sure and be realistic about it. I'm going to have to cut back on some of my frivolous expenses either way. Too bad I just bought a new computer (even though it was definitely time)!
In other news, this past Tuesday Karl and I made the trip up to the 'Ville to celebrate with Jen and Dereck. Those crazy kids decided that they wanted to get married - can you imagine? I met some of their friends and sang some Karaoke and drank some alcohol and had a great time. I have pictures but I'll let them decide which ones they want to post as soon as Hotmail fixes its problems with emailing pictures.
On Wednesday I finished reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - so good! I think it's my favorite book so far, but I tend to say that after every HP book. I won't spoil it for anyone, but if you decide to read the HP series I highly recommend you start at the beginning with Book 1 (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone) and work your way through. Don't start with Book 4 because you've seen the movies for the first three books, read them all. J.K. Rowling is too imaginative an author to miss.
Stay cool people - it's supposed to get to 102 in St. Louis on Sunday with a heat index of 120.
3 comments:
Don't forget to send Shane his thrown out of the dukum picture.
as far as buying, if i can afford it, you can.... i am sure i make less than you do.
i got into my place by asking the seller to pay $1000 towards closing and then i paid 3% as a down payment. on my place, at 65K, that was around 3K down. that seems like a lot. but if you figure an apartment, at $750 a month would be $1500 up front, that's not that much. you can also get a 100% mortgage or even roll in closing costs.
wait.... you are the one with the business degree. what i am telling you this for???
Dude, I can lend you $100 at 4% if you want...
M
Post a Comment