Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Here we go again

I can't believe we're getting another Category 5 hurricane again in Rita so soon after Katrina. Do you realize there are only four Atlantic hurricane names left? According to weather.com the remaining names are Stan, Tammy, Vince and Wilma before they go to the Greek alphabet in case you're interested. Unbelievable. I found this article that says that while global warming may not cause an increase in the number of hurricanes, it may be increasing the intensity of those hurricanes. I'm also watching CNN as I'm typing this and it said that the storm has strengthened and has sustained winds of 175 mph, which equals those of Katrina at its strongest - can you imagine?

I blogged before that I have never been to New Orleans. I have, however, been to Galveston which is currently being evacuated for Rita. My 37 high school classmates and I went to Texas on our Senior Trip where we spent a night in Galveston and toured the island the next day. I had my first encounter with salt water and a certain boy there. I remember the gorgeous houses that we saw on the island that survived the big hurricane there in 1900. I also remember all of the oil rigs you could see off the coast in the Gulf. The tour guide mentioned that the island could be submerged if the right hurricane hit the coast in the right spot. Oh how I hope this isn't that hurricane.

No comments: