Monday, December 19, 2005

Time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping...

It's funny how time can pass you by when you're not even looking. This is the time of year when I realize how old I'm really getting. I gauge this not by my gray hair, of which there is entirely too much. Nope, I gauge it by the pictures of my friends' kids that come in Christmas cards.

One of my best friends from high school sent me a picture of her daughter who, according to the family newsletter, turned four this year. What's scary is that I know of other friends who had kids long before she did. If my calculations are correct, the daughter of another high school friend should turn 10 in 2006. And that's not even counting the girl who had a son our junior year.

It's not just my high school friends either. My former college roommate, N, has a daughter that just turned three. I can still vividly remember attending a work picnic with her shortly after she started her first post-college job, and telling her how much I thought her now-husband seemed interested in her.

No, these are not baby pains I'm experiencing. I'm completely happy with my single life sans child and currently have no plans on changing that. And I'm only 31, it's not like I don't have plenty of time to have a kid. But sometimes I can't believe that I'm an adult, let alone a 31-year-old woman. I don't feel old, I just can't believe how quickly time flies when you're having fun.

No comments: