Tuesday, December 20, 2005

You're spending my tax dollars on WHAT?!?

I gotta say, I LOVE how the New York Times released an article revealing that the president secretly allowed monitoring of international phone calls just as Congress is voting on possibly renewing the so-called Patriot Act.

*in my best announcer voice* This latest episode of “Big Brother” comes courtesy of the current Republican administration, whose slogan lately seems to be “See, we do like big government, especially if we’re spending on war and what we like to call ‘defense’. We just don’t like to spend money to help the poor, sick and others in need.”

I’m sensing that the American people are getting a little tired of having their civil liberties threatened. I’m also getting the feeling that maybe people are beginning to question how their tax dollars are being spent. Could a political shift be just around the corner? Or am I getting my hopes up too high?

NOTE: If you're not a subscriber to nytimes.com you should be - it's free! Plus, my links above will make much more sense if you're a member.

1 comment:

Anita said...

Hey, you have a great blog too! I agree with you, but I don't sense that most Americans are really that concerned. I am trying to be optimistic and not cynical, but out here I just don't see the outrage this all justifies. And, damn, I'm pissed!