Monday, April 17, 2006

Woo-hoo, tax season's over!!!

Well I made it through another one. I actually worked about 30 hours less this year than I did last year mainly because I started later and ended a bit earlier, both due to situations beyond my control. Despite working my ass off at a couple of points, this year was much less stressful than last year mainly due to not having to deal with the former senior on the job. I’m still glad it’s over though.

I actually was able to convince the partner in charge of scheduling to let me go from work at 2pm on Friday so I was able to drive to my parents’ house that night instead of Saturday morning. They were pleasantly surprised to see me so early. I had a great weekend with the family, especially since I hadn’t seen them since Christmas.

We went fishing on Saturday afternoon and managed to get a little wet from the rain but were able to catch a nice batch of fish for dinner that night. I caught a really nice crappie that was totally worth nearly falling into the pond to get.

Sunday I went to church with my grandma and grandpa because I wanted to see them and it makes them happy, and even though I don’t consider myself a Christian anymore I swallow my pride and go because I’m their favorite grandchild. Then we had Easter dinner with my dad’s side and I got to hide Easter eggs for my cousins’ kids which was a lot of fun. I was even able impart my wisdom to one of the kids by teaching her how to blow bubble gum bubbles.

The vegetarian thing wasn’t nearly the problem I thought it would be. I asked Mom and Dad to not make a big deal of me not eating meat when we were at Easter dinner because I didn’t want everyone asking me about it. And considering my grandpa was a life-long cattleman and a lot of the rest of the family still farms I knew there would be issues. But I went through the food line and got my plate together and, as I suspected, there was so much food that no one even noticed I didn’t have meat on my plate.

There’s nothing like going from being so busy that you can’t breathe to being busy with fun things. Every night this week I’ve got something going on, but I’d much rather stay busy with this stuff than be bored at home. I had my relaxing weekend with my family, let the fun begin!

4 comments:

Jen said...

Glad you got done in time to go home for Easter! Excellent!

Happy Easter!

And congrats on taxes being done!

Michelle de Seattle said...

Free at last :)

Beth Fish said...

Lucky you. My mother insists on making a big hairy deal out of the meat thing at every meal we have together. I keep telling her I'm an adult and can be responsible for getting myself enough to eat, but I don't think she buys it.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're back in the world! As you know, I'm working on filling up your calendar!

I've been a vegetarian for 10 years now and my family still finds it necessary to give me crap about it whenever we gather. I usually bring a veggie dish large enough to share with everyone, and ya know what? It disappears before any other dish! Part of it is because I'm a better cook than anyone in my family (no one uses spices!) but they always seem to like the healthy dishes made from scratch more than the rest of the meal that is usually cobbled together from packaged foods. I used to just get all defensive, but now I use family gatherings to enlighten my family about vegetarianism and just healthy eating in general.

--Van