Last night Erica and I went to see the movie Thank You For Smoking. In it, the main character talks about having the certain moral flexibility needed to work for Big Tobacco and despite working for the bad guys he is a peace with himself. The excuse he uses to justify it to himself, even though he loves his job, is that he does it to pay the mortgage.
As I've begun looking for jobs I've been wondering if it would be possible for me to work for a non-profit that concentrates on a cause I believe in. I would love to be able to put my knowledge to work for the good guys. I even found an opening for what I would consider my ideal job. The problem, however, is that the job offers less of a salary than what I'm earning now.
Call me crazy, but I was hoping to make more at my next job than what I make now. In an ideal world I would take this job no problem. Unfortunately I have bills to pay and I'm not independently wealthy. So what's going to happen, unless I find the miracle job, is that I'm going to have to sell myself out to pay the mortgage.
I don't feel guilty for earning what I think I'm worth - I've worked long and hard to get where I am. I just wish I could earn what I think I'm worth and put my work to a use other than padding my pockets.
1 comment:
i took a pay cut to take the job i have now.
yeah, it hurts. but it's worth it. it's the best thing i have ever done.
and after being there for almost two years, i am almost up to what i was making. (salary is the same, benifets are still lacking and i don't have 401K matching).
you can't put a price tag on happiness. it's worth every penny.
Post a Comment