Tuesday, July 25, 2006

E-leccc-tri-ci-ty, eeeeeee-leccc-tri-ci-ty

I've had that School House Rock on electricity in my head since this whole mess with the power outages started. Things are finally starting to get back to normal here but at last count there are still over 100,000 people in the Metro area without power. And it's getting hot again - the temperature is supposed to be in the mid-90s all week with high humidity. Luckily most of the people I know have had their power restored.

So much for disaster preparedness, huh? It makes you wonder what would happen if something truly disastrous happened. I mean storms come through St. Louis all of the time, this one just happened to be a bit windier than normal. The electric company should have had more of a plan in place for a scenario like this. Hopefully they will get their acts together and get some terrestrial lines laid.

1 comment:

Michelle de Seattle said...

Halliburton and Bechtel and Kat have shown the way - There's money to be lost in disaster preparedness, and fortunes to be gained in disaster response.

I think your electric company has done an excellent job, though. Property owners are responsible for all trees on their property. Cut down a tree and the owners scream, digging a trench costs a fortune when there's so many lines and pipes and property owners to map out...That was a once in a 50 year wind storm, and they've spent less than a month recovering. I'm very sad for the workers who've lost their lives.

All disaster preparedness people say you need to be able to survive 3 - 7 days with no incoming food, water, fuel or electricity. There's a woman in NYC suing because she had no power for two hours and her choice of a cordless phone meant she was unable to dial 911 during that time. Can you hear my eyes rolling?