Monday, August 14, 2006

Head Games

This morning I had to be at work at 6:30 a.m. Isn't that crazy? I mean, I'm a professional! I earn a salary! I shouldn't have to be at work any earlier than 8:00 if I don't want to! Unfortunately I'm auditing a process where a lot of the data entry has to be done at that hour, and I had to be there to observe it. Lucky me.

I went to eat Chinese with a girl I met in training who works in a different department but in the same building as me. She's pretty cool and from conversations I've had with her it sounds like she's a liberal. And she's a big Nickel Creek fan. I may actually have to stay in touch with this one. Anyway we went to this Chinese restaurant I've been to before and I've always liked but today I wasn't impressed at all. I ordered Kung Pao Chicken and it tasted really salty and overcooked to me. And the peanuts were burnt - not cool.

Around 2:30 I was dragging. I had a headache that was weighing me down and I was really tired from getting up earlier than usual. I've recently made some changes to my diet and I'm trying to give up caffeine, but I thought it was weird that I was having a caffeine headache in the afternoon since I typically get them in the morning. Anyway, at 3:15 I emailed my boss and asked if I could leave at 3:30 since I had put in my 8 hours for the day and I wasn't feeling well. She walked by my cube and said "Go home! Get some rest!" So I did.

I stopped at the grocery store to pick up some bananas and was on my way home when it hit me. The Kung Pao was really salty. My headache hit me after lunch. Oh man, I bet there was MSG in the Chinese food! I couldn't believe it because I didn't think anyone used MSG any more. And it's been so long that I had forgotten how sensitive I was to it. Needless to say I won't be going back to that restaurant again. It's over six hours later and I still have a headache.

3 comments:

Michelle de Seattle said...

Get well soon!

Michelle de Seattle said...

8/21/2006
On this day in 1911, the Mona Lisa was stolen from the Louvre in Paris. It was one of the most audacious art thefts of all time. Vincenzo Peruggia walked into the museum, headed straight for the world's most famous painting, took it off the wall, hid it beneath his clothes, and walked out. The whole nation of France was stunned. There was a popular rumor in Paris that the Germans had stolen da Vinci's masterpiece to humiliate the French. Police had no leads until two years later, when Peruggia tried to ransom the painting. He was caught, the painting was unharmed, and the Mona Lisa was returned to the Louvre, where it still is today, with much better security.

Beth Fish said...

mmmmm.... MSG. Tasty. ;)

Hope you are feeling better.