Am I dreaming? Did we just have the elections? With the results that we just had?
I'd forgotten what it was like to win an election. I'm still in a bit of disbelief and want to wait until the final, final numbers are in before celebrating too much. But I guess we can safely say that the good guys have regained control of the House. We're still waiting on the end result for Senate control though - I wonder if we'll have to wait for the recount before the winner gets projected?
Missouri had one of the most watched Senate races in the country, and I was happy to see that we held up our end of the deal this year. I've lived in Missouri all of my life and except for Jean Carnahan's two year term in place of her late husband from 2001-2002, I can't remember a time when we ever had a Democratic senator.** It should be an interesting couple of years until the presidential elections in 2008.
**I was curious to see who the Missouri senators were during my lifetime, so I decided to look it up. According to this page on the Missouri Secretary of State website, Thomas Eagleton was senator from 1969-1987 and a guy I've never heard of named Stuart Symington (which, after reading a bit of his bio I'm ashamed I've never heard of him) was senator from 1953-1976. I don't think I had any idea who our senators were until probably around the presidential election in 1988. That was when I remember taking my first real interest in politics.
No comments:
Post a Comment