Saturday, November 04, 2006

This Woman's Work

Because I've missed so much work by being sick the past two weeks, my boss helpfully suggested yesterday that I could come in to work today. She would be able to help me with some questions because she had to be at work to oversee an inventory count. So I couldn't exactly say that I didn't want to work on a Saturday since she was working a Saturday. Needless to say I worked at the office today from about 8 until 2. I even got to bring work home with me to do tomorrow - fun.

I've got to admit that I'm not really sure I like my new job, and it has nothing to do with the fact that I have to work this weekend - honest. I love the company I work for and I really enjoy the people I work with, but I'm not sure I enjoy auditing that much. When I was originally looking for a job I ideally was hoping for something involving preparing financial statements or controlling the books. I really wasn't interesting in auditing again until this job was offered to me.

The main reason I took the auditing job was because I wanted to get my foot in the door with this company, and it was understood from the beginning that this position was a job that I would eventually rotate out of. Upon my hiring my boss asked that I give two to three years to the auditing department. Needless to say, I'm thinking about talking to her about rotating out sooner rather than later. Unfortunately it is company policy to inform your supervisor if you are applying for another job within the company. And wouldn't you know, there is currently an opening for a senior accountant position that I think I would really enjoy.

Hopefully I haven't lost all of my readers due to my failure to post on a regular basis. If there are any of you left out there, what do you think I should do? Should I talk to my boss about rotating out or should I just grin and bear it for another year and a half?

No comments: