Saturday, July 07, 2007

Vacation

There's nothing like some time off to clear the head and relax a person. That's what I did this past week in what ended up being the world's cheapest vacation.

I went home to visit my parents and to enjoy the 4th of July with my family. I pushed for us all to have our annual celebration last Saturday since it worked best for my schedule, so I really had to be there. Only two of the nine cousins weren't there (my brother being one of them) so I was able to see most of my extended family. Our fireworks shows have really become impressive now that my generation is old enough to contribute financially, and this year we even drew the interest of some of my grandma's neighbors. And I had a great time hanging out with all of my little cousins who are all starting to become smart, fascinating individuals.

Sunday my parents and I went fishing at my uncle's pond. I forgot to put on any sunscreen and my parents, who spend more time outside than they do inside, didn't have any in the truck. Needless to say, we spent about an hour at the pond and I burnt my shoulders to a crisp. Maybe I should have just risked the farmer's tan, but I didn't and I regretted it later that evening.

Tuesday I drove down to the Lake but along the way, since I had the time, I made a stop at a Civil War battle site I'd been wanting to visit for several years. I enjoy visiting historical sites and learning something new, and this place was no exception. I know at some point in my schooling I had learned about Missouri's place in the battle between the states, but I guess I had forgotten a lot of it. I ended up spending about three hours there on my own, just learning and taking pictures. It was pretty cool.

The Lake was a blast as always. We went out on the boat on the 4th and found a quiet cove in which to go swimming. I LOVE to water ski but I didn't even try it this year since I didn't have the strength to pull my fat butt out of the water last year and I knew this year I'd have the same problem (goal for the next year - lose enough weight so I can water ski again). On the 5th we all kind of did our own things, and I ended up spending most of the day in the pool. Needless to say, when we got back from putt-putt golfing that evening my shoulders had started to blister from spending three out of past five days in the sun. No amount of burning could ever ruin the Lake for me though, as nothing relaxes me more than spending some time on and in the water.

What a fabulous week this has been, and all it cost me was gas and some food. Next week it's back to work on the cleaning and sorting and finding a job.

No comments: